Classification Title: Groundskeeper I
Department: Facilities Management
Staff Type: Merit
Type of Position: Regular
Pay Grade: 06
Salary: Minimum starting salary is $31,090.32. The University of Iowa offers a generous benefits package, including 12 days paid vacation per year to start and paid sick leave. Complete information regarding the full benefits package may be viewed at: https://hr.uiowa.edu/benefits/fpsm.
Percent of time: 100%
Schedule: 6:00 am to 2:30 pm, Monday-Friday.
Location: Landscape Services
The University of Iowa department of Facilities Management is seeking a GROUNDSKEEPER I to operate and maintain power equipment, truck and light machinery and maintain grounds including lawn areas, sidewalks, parking lots and streets.
- Turf work-mow, trim, lay sod/overseed, water
- Assist Area Groundskeepers-bed maintenance
- Assist installation crew-prep, install, water
- Maintain equipment and tools-clean, sharpen and service
- Attend meetings, converse with unit leaders on daily assignments, complete training requirements as necessary
- Snow removal work-operate plow trucks, loader, skid steer, utility vehicle, and hand tools
Facilities Management (FM) is a service unit of approximately 700 employees who work behind the scenes, 24 hours a day, serving the University of Iowa as stewards of our beautiful Iowa City campus. FM staff coordinate campus master planning, manage design & construction, maintain & clean the buildings & the grounds, and provide utilities management.
The University of Iowa is one of the nation’s premier public research universities, with 11 colleges offering internationally recognized programs in disciplines ranging from otolaryngology to fiction writing, printmaking to space science, hydraulic engineering to dance. Iowa draws nearly 33,000 students from more than 100 countries and all 50 U.S. states, and employs about 29,500 faculty and staff.
The university is located along the picturesque Iowa River in Iowa City, a city of some 77,000 people (170,000+ in the metro area) regularly ranked as one of the nation’s best places to live. Iowa City is less than four hours from Chicago and within five hours of Minneapolis, St. Louis, and Kansas City, readily accessible via interstate highways and a regional airport 30 minutes away.
Merit job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended. For questions or additional information, please contact Erin Turnis (email@example.com).
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- One year of experience in operating the machinery and tools used in groundskeeping work, or
- Any combination of related experience and education from which comparable nowledge and ability can be acquired which totals one year.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to meet UI fleet safety driving record review standards.
- Good customer service skills
- Basic computer skills
- Previous experience removing snow from roads and parking lots.